Texts by Maddalena Belli, Luisa Dallai, Giuseppe Di Falco, Gaetano Di Pasquale, Roberto Farinelli, Francesca Grassi, Juan A. Quirós Castillo, Gianni Zanchetta.
The volume collects the analyzes relating to the excavation of the Cugnano site, located in Monterotondo Marittimo (GR). The specificity of Cugnano lies in its peculiar nature as a “mining castle”, since it is precisely in the mining activity that the core of the history of the settlement lies. In this regard, the research contained in the volume aims to clarify:
- at what moment the birth of the early medieval village takes place and in what forms;
- what role the powers play both in the birth and in the development of the village in the Carolingian age;
- what nature are the links created between powers and the mineral resource in the early Middle Ages;
- in what social context does the building process take place;
- what role did the powers that alternated in the settlement play in the management of resources (noble powers and citizens);
- how the relationship between settlement and mineral resources was articulated, or what urban planning forms were necessary to carry out the mining vocation;
- which methods and technological levels have been achieved in the mining and metallurgical activities.