With texts by Gabriele Bitelli, Antonio Edoardo Bracci, Dhimiter Çondi, Sandro De Maria, Anna Gamberini, Enrico Giorgi, Shpresa Gjongecaj, Giuseppe Lepore, Marco Podini, Simone Rambaldi, Riccardo Villicich, Luca Vittuari, Mirco Zaccaria.
The volume presents the results of the first excavation campaign conducted at the Phoinike site in 2000-2001 by a joint mission of Italian and Albanian archaeologists. The site of the ancient city was discovered by Luigi Ugolini in 1924 during his first, long archaeological survey in Albania. Work suspended in 1927, the important discovery was no longer the subject of systematic excavations and research, due to the serious historical and political issues that affected Albania during the twentieth century. The new mission, made possible by the joint commitment of the diplomats of the two countries, resumes and integrates the work of Ugolini, updating the reliefs of the upper city and opening new perspectives on the development of the city over the long term. The new geophysical prospecting from georadar instrumentation, the excavation tests in the upper city, the discovery of the Hellenistic "House of the two peristyles", are the main innovations carefully documented in the volume, thanks also to a considerable graphic support.